Sunday, May 6, 2012

Module 14: For Laughing Our Louder


Book Cover Image

Summary
A book of poems that are silly and fun for all ages. Animals play as the main character in most of the poems. 

APA Reference
Prelutsky, J. & Priceman, M. (1995). For laughing out louder. New York, NY: Alfred A. Knopf.

My Impressions
I read this book to my 3rd graders as well. They love poems. It has made up words and made up ideas that are sure to "tickle your funny bone" as the cover of the book states. 

Professional Review
Prelutsky and Priceman repeat the successful combination of For Laughing Out Loud (1991) with nonsense verse from many poets and bright, slapstick illustrations. Much is visceral, literally (“I’m very grateful to my skin / For keeping all my insides in” ), with lots about smells, foods, and all kinds of bodily distortions and dislocations. Some verses fade out, with forced rhyme and blah repetition; but there’s plenty of silliness in wordplay and situation to show kids that language can be fun. Lilian Moore’s “I Left My Head” is wonderfully surreal; there’s the same deadpan tone in X. J. Kennedy’s “The Vacuum Cleaner’s Swallowed Will.” The poets in this anthology relish the sounds of words (“Down in Patagonia / A walrus caught pneumonia / From playing its trombonia / While swimming all alonia.” “ ). Everyone will have a favorite to read aloud. (Reviewed January 1 & 15, 1996)— Hazel Rochman
Rochman, H. (1996). Booklist.

Library Uses
This is a great introduction to poems and how they can relate to stories with rhyme. 

No comments:

Post a Comment