Monday, July 4, 2011

$10,000 for Handheld Devices


The following is a blog update scenario given to me for a class.

I have been asked to purchase handheld devices for my library. I have been given a budget of $10,000.  I have thought about a few different devices that I am planning on purchasing. One type of handheld device is the ebook reader. The libraries in our school district have begun to incorporate a digital library. If librarians choose to participate we would need the ebook readers for the students to make use of the digital library. I plan to purchase 4 ebook reader per grade level. We typically have 4 teachers per grade level. If I purchase 28 ebook readers, each teacher will be able to check one out. The teachers could use it as a reward for students to use. This should cost me approximately $6,000.

With the remaining $4,000 I plan to purchase several internet tablets. I would like to purchase ipads in order for the students to access the internet. This way the students could access applications such as Google Maps. The students could view parts of the world they may never see otherwise. They could access the internet and play interactive learning games. I will purchase 7 – 8 ipads. Depending on how much money is left over from the ebooks.

Hopefully these devices will enrich our schoool's library and allow students to learn in different ways. The devices will also be available for teacher check out. The ipads would be available for check out especially for teachers to use at home in order for them to familiarize themselves with the new technology. Hopefully then, the teachers could incorporate the ipads more into their classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment